Thursday 22 August 2013

My Top 10

Read an article today titled "10 Ways Living With a Toddler is Like Being in Prison".  Seemed slightly extreme but I was obviously intrigued enough to read on and will share these findings with you:

10. You can't do anything without constant supervision
9. Every morning begins with someone screaming at you to wake up
8. You're always terrified something bad will happen when you're in the shower
7. You're terrified someone is going to crawl into your bed in the middle of the night
6. Meal time is fraught with tension
5. Someone's always watching you go to the bathroom
4. You never get to choose the movie and then it's hard to hear it over all the hooting and hollering
3. You're always terrified someone is going to punch, bite, tackle, stab or attack you with some kind of makeshift weapon
2. Contraband - like booze, chocolate and adult entertainment- must be smuggled in and consumed in private
1. Conjugal visits are hard to come by, require intense scheduling, and are often interrupted

BONUS: One Way Having a Toddler is NOT Like Being in Prison

** Being placed in solitary confinement is a reward, not a punishment**

After perusing through the list and laughing/crying at the parallelism between my life and what seems to be every other parent of a toddler, I started to reflect a bit.  As I have shared, and will likely continue to share, raising a toddler is...well...an adventure at best!  Lots of tantrums, defiance, arguing, hitting, eye-rolling (already!) and just plain clashing of personalities.  BUT, I noticed that I haven't taken any time to reflect and share on the true blessings that also come along with raising a strong willed little human being. 

Here are my Top 10 Reasons I Love Raising a Strong Willed Little Human Being:

10. Whenever she hears someone say "Thank You", she immediately brings to my attention how "nice" that person is
9. Despite our frustrations through the day, she fills my hours with great big smooches and hugs
8. When she makes a mistake (has an accident, spills something etc.) she promptly responds with "Sowwy Mommy"
7. Whenever/wherever she hears music, every fiber of her being begins to dance and a pure sense of confidence and peace fills her soul
6. She kisses my pregnant belly and says "Hi Sister"
5. She knows exactly what she wants and won't settle for anything less
4. She loves to sit on my lap and read me her favourite stories -- Mostly "Boss Baby"....fitting much??
3. She brushes my hair while I blow dry it after a shower
2. She insists on sharing everything she eats with whomever is around
1. When I talk to her about what being beautiful means she points to me, herself and my belly and says "Beautiful Girls"

BONUS: She constantly amazes me with her ambitions, creativity, laughter, determination, kindness and love that I genuinely consider myself  LUCKY to call her mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment